Saturday, January 17, 2009

Kids These Goddamn Days.

Normally when I use the phrase, "Kids these days," I'm talking about rap music, weeaboos, lack of respect, and the new demographic of Hollywood. But today I saw something just plain unacceptable.

I was on the Facebooks keeping tabs on a fictional person (I'm not sure whether he/she creeps me out, or intrigues me) and I come across one of his/her "friends." Her profile picture looked suspect, so I creeped around- er, I followed an investigatory lead.

This girl's a mom. She's barely 18 and is married with a kid. Married to a kid, in my opinion, too. This puts me ill at ease, but it's really not that bad. Thirty years ago this sort of thing was commonplace. A hundred years ago and her parents might have been saying, "Finally!" And it's not that I think they're too young to be having kids. If God didn't want kids to be having sex, he wouldn't fire up the baby-makin' factories when you're thirteen.

Obviously I don't endorse kids to be having sex. They were less capable of raising a child ten thousand years ago. In modern society, kids are completely incapable of raising children of their own. There's too much to know and prepare for. You'll always have to spend approximately 25% of your life expectancy learning how to survive the last 75% of your life. And, maybe not so obviously (I only came to this conclusion earlier this year), if you're not done growing up, who are you to coach someone else in growing up?

Okay, a few tangents there, but I felt they were helpful groundwork for what I find appalling. Are you ready? This girl's latest profile picture is her at what I hope is a party with a pill on her tongue flipping off the camera.

She has a nine month old child*!

It's worse that she is married. If it was a single 18 year old mom who was so strung out that she had to go out and party and do drugs and the baby wound up starved in a crib, drowned in a sink, or eaten by stray dogs, it would be horrible! But I think we could all file that away in the "Disdain" folders in our brains. But the fact that she had something going. Yeah, she got pregnant, but she also got married. And he stuck around. And they sound like the kind of couple that could make it work. It sounds like the setup for meeting these people seventeen years from now when their kid is graduating with yours and they're almost ten years younger than you, but their kid is on the honour roll because they knew a thing or two about working hard even when times are tough. But instead, she's at parties taking chemically manufactured drugs and acting like a lady-douchebag (is douchebag a unisex term in this context? Most female specific derogatory names are too aggressive. Douche is a much more passive term. Anyway...).

So, I say again, "Kids these days..."


*See comments

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what you can find out about someone using the internet. You don't even need advanced knowledge about how to hack into accounts or go around firewalls or whatever the kids do these days to find out things they shouldn't. I mean, today, I found out who someone was, who they are married to, what their kid looks like, when that kid was born. I'm sure if I looked at it closer, I could tell roughly where they live or hang out. I know what high school she's still going to (oh yeah, she's still there. Graduating this year. I could pay her a visit at grad. Creepy, am I right?)

    This reminds me of a time I found a phone number on the stairs at school. From this, I reverse looked up her phone number and found out her name and where she lived. I Google Mapped it and found out what her yard looks like and what kind of car she probably drove. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I destroyed the phone number.

    ReplyDelete