Sunday, October 11, 2009

Marvel Decent Alliance 2

I haven't rage quit in a while, but UA2 finally did me in.

Who ever thought quicktime events were a good idea? Worse, who thought quicktime events with motion sensors was a good idea? Furthermore, who thought quicktime events with motion sensors and random windows of opportunity so that you never know if you didn't move it the right way or if you were too slow or too fast or if it didn't respond of you're not moving it enough or you're moving it too much or....

You get where I'm going. Beyond that, this game is about as balanced as a Globetrotters/Local Junior High Basketball team mash up. On the one side you have Wolverine, and on the other side you have... everyone else. Wolverine regerates health, causes the most damage, thus kills the most things, thus gets the most xp thus us the strongest character in the party. He's a freight train that never stops. Most of the boss fights include me trying to play my party and having all of them get gang raped because the computer knows who you are and that you'd be pissed if your AI got killed on their own until I'm finally left with Wolverine who runs around and murders everything. Though I wouldn't run into this problem if the AI did something when I was being attacked. But their survival strategy revolves around staying out of the way and not attacking anything.

Here's an example. I put Storm on my team because The Thing got himself killed. I thought that Wolverine could get in there and take the hits while Storm cast down lightning for the back. In the entire duration of a boss fight I saw her use lightning never! Not once! I took control and took down the bosses zipping around the room in 2 minutes. You know what moves I used? Lightning. It's almost as if they are worried that they will run out of power for a time when they'll really need them. Like when we're fighting one single trash mob. It seems like everyone is all over their powers then.

Needless to say, this game is one to save for the never that I will have someone else to play it with. At least I have Arkham Asylum.

1 comment:

  1. i like how the term "trash mob" translates into all games for us now.
    stupid warcraft.

    ReplyDelete