Thursday, February 11, 2010

Capacity

I wonder if people have a certain capacity for life, or if life only has a certain capacity for people.

It seems like life moves on and people come and go. When someone comes in, someone is pushed out. When someone is pushed out, we bring in someone new. So I wonder if that is the way the world works, like the way the world is brought to an equilibrium on all things, or if we just don't make the effort.

You all know me. I let the world do what the world is going to do. I try to live on the surface rather than change the way things happen (even though I have, as the very name of my blog suggests, numerous problems with the world). So I wonder if the fluctuation of people within lives is due to my action/inaction, or whether it is due wholly to the ways of the world.

Here's an example: I broke up with my girlfriend a long while back (yeah, she dumped me, whatever) and I chose not to talk to her. I chose inaction. We since have spoken very few words to one another. I have better relationships with some people who I don't know the names of. On the other hand, I know a couple who broke up and tried to stay friends. As far as I can tell this resulted in some hurtful exchanges and now they are, again, as far as I know, not speaking. It seems that the course can be altered, but not the destination.

This makes me wonder if we have any control over the people who come and go out of our lives. Do we have any more control over that than we do over the flow of time?

Maybe not, but I should give some old friends a call.

1 comment:

  1. Giving old folks a call is hard man. Building bridges is a shit load easier than burning them down.

    ReplyDelete