Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kissin' in the movies

I haven't been out to a movie in a really long time and it seems to me that they haven't really changed that much. Okay, so they are a lot more open about epic blue wangs (it's a good thing. not that I like looking at male genitals, but I feel if we're going to show tits whenever we get the chance, we might as well show a naked dude in all of his nudity, especially when it makes a point).

So, I watched the Watchmen, obviously, and there was a rather gratuitous sex scene. I mean, the sex was important, but that much was unnecessary. And I think something changed inside of me. I was disinterested in the sex. Sex is... obvious. Blatant. Obtuse, even. What I was interested in was the kissin'.

I don't think people understand what a kiss is anymore. Kisses can mean nothing these days. I'm not saying that kissing is a contract, but it still has meaning/value.

I suppose what bothers me the most is one sided kisses; kisses where it means something to one, but is merely went along with by the other. But this never happens in the movies. Kisses are passionate and important, and if not, both parties know full well that the kiss was unwarranted and, more importantly, unappreciated.

So why do we need the sex scene? If a kiss is valuable enough to show passion and emotion, why do we need a 3 minute scene that shows two people boning?

Maybe I'm getting old is all. Maybe I'm becoming a prude. Maybe it's that I miss those kisses and their meaning. Maybe I miss those baby steps that build to something wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment