Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men,
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

I think we're all missing the point of this nursery rhyme.

If I were to give you the rhyme:
A man once lived in indecision,
His heart divided with great precision,
He finally succumbed,
The devil had won,
And it was all out of the king's jurisdiction.
you wouldn't think "Oh, well it's obviously about eggs. Devilled eggs, right?"

No, you'd see the collapse of a man that could not be saved by the king. No eggs. Now, obviously these two rhymes are similar, but not entirely the same. Mine is about the folly of bureaucratic law, whereas Humpty is about the ineptitude of so called power; not eggs.

Now, I have come across another version that reads:
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
Threescore men and threescore more,
Cannot place Humpty Dumpty as he was before.

Now, this makes more sense as a riddle, only a riddle with "egg" as one of thousands of possible answers. Why not pie? In fact, it makes more sense to rest a pie on a wall to cool than to put an egg on a wall. And anyone who has ever dropped a pie would know that sixscore (I don't know if my -score math is correct on this) men couldn't fix a floor pie to look like a normal pie.

Though, I'll admit, after reading some other Mother Goose rhymes again, I can't say I've figured out what they're about either.

1 comment:

  1. I looked it up. Apparently "-score" means "by twenty." Example, fourscore and seven years ago means eighty-seven years ago. So, threescore and threescore more should equal sixscore.

    ReplyDelete