Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Music versus Alcohol

Drinking does not necessarily coax truths out of ones self, but rather, I have found, amplifies emotions. Certain emotions. Not that there isn't more truth coming from a person under the influence, but that it is a momentary truth. This is how we can say things we don't really mean, yet still feel. You may say that you hate someone while under the influence, and that may not be the case. You may say that you love someone under the influence, and that may not be the case either.

Although I probably have said things that were an exaggerated version of my normal feelings, this is not the root of my revelation. I'm sitting here in bed listening to music, and I start with a song by the Mad Caddies; Drinking For 11. Then the shuffle moves to Thrice's Stare At The Sun. Despite both songs reflecting my feelings, they have very different tones. While I am drinking, the first song made me feel hope. The second song fills me with hopelessness. So, while I assume that I have but one universal feeling, the music can alter the manifestation of that feeling, amplified, of course, by the alcohol.

In fact, that is a good way to look at it. Alcohol is your amp, not your pre-amp. Music is the pre-amp. Music changes what you can hear and what you can't; alcohol only makes it louder. This is why at a party you can totally hook up with someone or end up staying up all night talking. You still like the girl, but the music manifests different actions (also, iPods versus vinyl, very different results).

To emphasize my point, my iPod has just switched from Slipknot to Vivaldi and I'm too confused to go on. But the point I wanted to make is that I say a lot of things that may not fairly represent how I feel. I guess I also want to say I'm sorry for this. Things that are black and white are express than this sea of grey.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about it, having a slight (or major) buzz on while listening to music always gives me enhanced emotional responses to the songs.

    But, everytime I say I love you when I'm drunk Alex, that's all me. I love you man.

    ReplyDelete