Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blag to the Basics

With an hour break to eat between Philosophy and Physics (why are the Ph- classes always either dreadfully boring or exceptionally awesome?) I should be conducting more consistent blogging. It's not really the hour break that's doing this, but the hour break with no one around.

That's been the anticipated biggest problem with going back to school; I am now on average 4 years older than everyone else. That's an entire presidency. Although I am an adult and 4 years doesn't seem like that much time, these kids are 19... Four years ago they were 15. When I started sleeping with girls, they started liking girls. How fucked up is that? Not that I'm interested in people who started liking girls, but think about the first girl you liked. Now think about the first girl you slept with. Now think about them at the same time. If this is arousing, I would kindly ask you to no longer be associated with me (that, or shit, dude, you were one academically focused little motherfucker).

But I can still get past that. What I can't get past is that all these girls here are in High School 2: I Can Do Who I Want, Mom! I thought Lethbridge was bad for being high school all over again, but we all seemed to grow up in our time there.

I feel like an amateur anthropologist in this food court, observing these ex-children/pre-adults (protodults, if you will). But I can't form any conclusions other than that I don't fit in at all. To boil it down, we have nothing in common. I'm not in a program, I don't know how long I'll be here, we come from many different places and live in many different areas and do many different things. That's what I miss about Lethbridge. People lived on the West Side. We were all in there for the long run. We ate at the same places, we drank at the same bars, we hung around on campus for hours on end because we had nothing better to do. I saw someone I knew every day at school down there. I've seen people here that I've seen before. So far, no one that I've talked to (save for Zack, who I came specifically to have lunch with) I have seen again. And I don't think I'll ever build those relationships with people here like I did in Lethbridge. Maybe it's who they are, maybe it's who I am, maybe it's just who they aren't.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you Alex. I miss the old days too. We should reconnoiter them heartily with some alcohology soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say we make a group that's anti-protodults.
    PS - GOOD term.

    ReplyDelete