Sunday, September 20, 2009

Time Makes Fools Of Us All

I wish I had some evidence to back this up, but I couldn't risk it.

We all know what happens to eggs when they get old. They go off. Well, what happens when you let an egg go off for an eighth of a century?

That's right, twelve and a half years.

Okay, that's an estimate because truthfully, I don't know how old it was. How did it not stink horrifically and decay over the years? A protective layer of decorative glue and tissue papers; the kind that would be applied by a young child at Easter.

Yep, that was me, from an Easter many years past. I discovered it while going through old things recently. So what happened to it? The inside rattled, as if it contained a ball. The yolk, but with nothing left surrounding it.

But what the hell was I going to do with that? So I threw it away; and some more junk too. One item hit the egg and cracked it.

Oh Christ, the smell.

So I tied off the trash and chucked it. But what I did see was a charred black ball splitting to expose the chalky yellow yoke that once was.

Part of me wants to redo the experiment.

1 comment:

  1. Part of me wants to smell it, while the other half is asking that half why it would want to smell it.

    ReplyDelete