Friday, September 18, 2009

An Old Man's Proverb

The other day an elderly gentleman gave me some words of wisdom that I found simply fantastic. He said to me, "I learned a long time ago that the only one who can ruin your day is you."

I think this is brilliant. Never let life get you down. Things are always going to suck, but you have to enjoy what you've got. I know I've ruined a few days my getting mad at something or upset about something or being depressed about something that isn't happening. After the fact (though I may blog about it) it's really nothing worth mentioning or thinking twice about. In the end, I'd be better of to be cool and have myself a good day.

But on the other side of that, as I have also discovered more recently, no one can make your day like someone else. It's really hard to do something yourself that makes you specifically happy. Maybe it's a modesty thing, but when you make yourself dinner, you don't care. But when someone makes you dinner, you appreciate it. Little things that others do do so much to make my day. I'm sure that door swings both ways.

Keep it swingin', readers.

1 comment: